Barclays Purpose and Values
“For our Values to have true meaning, employees need to live and breathe them.”
Antony Jenkins, Barclays Group Chief Executive
Barclays has undertaken a fundamental review of how our business operates. We have looked at the bank in terms of business performance and in terms of culture because we know that only a business driven by strong values can deliver strong, sustainable returns.
In January, as part of the Transform Programme, we announced our newly defined Purpose and Values across Barclays globally. These are fundamental to Barclays long-term success and represent the set of standards under which all of us at Barclays will work, and against which the performance of every employee will be assessed and rewarded.
Our common purpose is to help people achieve their ambitions – in the right way. We’ll measure and reward our people, not just on commercial results, but on how they live our Values and bring them to life every day. And we’ll judge our ‘Go-To’ success on a balanced scorecard of impact.
The Barclays Code of Conduct outlines the Values and Behaviours which govern our way of working across our business globally. It constitutes a reference point covering all aspects of colleagues’ working relationships, specifically (but not exclusively) with other Barclays employees, customers and clients, governments and regulators, business partners, suppliers, competitors and the broader community.
The objective is to define the way we think, work and act at Barclays to ensure we deliver against our Purpose of helping people to achieve their ambitions – in the right way.
The Barclays Way is aligned to the Code of Professional Conduct, published by the Chartered Banker Professional Standards Board, which sets out the ethical and professional attitudes and behaviours expected of bankers. Barclays subscribes to this code and is committed to embedding its broad principles into our business.
Helping people achieve their ambitions – in the right way.
Values and behaviours:
We respect and value those we work with, and the contribution that they make.
- Build trust with the colleagues and partners we work with
- Seek out alternative perspectives and put our shared interests ahead of any individual or team
- Collaborate proactively with colleagues across all of Barclays to get the best results
- Embrace, and seek to increase, the diversity of our organisation.
We act fairly, ethically and openly in all we do.
- Show the courage to do and say the right thing
- Act in private as I do in public, and honour my commitments
- Challenge things I believe to be wrong and be open to challenge from others
- Be accountable for failure as well as success, and not allocate blame.
We put our clients and customers at the centre of what we do.
- Take the time to understand clients’ and customers’ needs, regardless of my role
- Always strive to surpass clients’ and customers’ expectations
- Create and provide solutions for clients and customers that balance the short and long term
- In serving my clients and customers, incorporate the perspectives of all our stakeholders.
We use our energy, skills and resources to deliver the best, sustainable results.
- Aim for flawless delivery and learn from my mistakes
- Take pride in both my own work and that of the team
- Actively contribute to the performance, development and engagement of my colleagues
- Create the environment to attract and keep the best people who share our values.
We are passionate about leaving things better than we found them.
- Pioneer innovative and better ways to do things
- Protect and enhance our reputation and legacy at all times
- Find ways to positively impact all of the communities we interact with
- Value sustainable progress as much as immediate achievements.